IBM | French website | www.ibm.com/fr-fr
McDonald's | International website | corporate.mcdonalds.com/mcd/country/map | Global Gateway
Example: Germany | Deutschland
H&M | www.hm.com/entrance | Global Gateway
- E.ON | www.eon.com/en | Language Selection Trigger
- Ford Motor | www.ford.com | Language Selection Trigger
- Saudi Telecom | www.stc.com.sa | Language Selection Trigger
Example: Spanish | Espagnol
Example: EN for English or DE for German
Nokia |www.nokia.com/en_int/choose-your-language | Language Selection
- Toyota Motor | www.toyota.co.jp | Country Selection Trigger
- Syngenta | www.syngenta.com | Country Selection Trigger
- Marks & Spencer | www.marksandspencer.com | Country Selection Trigger
- Cigna | www.cigna.com | Country Selection Trigger
- Starbucks | www.starbucks.com | Country Selection Trigger
Example: Italy | Italia; Austria | Österreich
Starbucks | www.starbucks.com/site-selector | Country Selection
Example: CN for China or US for USA
Example: “You have landed on our US site from a UK location, would you like to go to the UK site or stay on the US site?
Adobe Systems | www.adobe.com
- ccTLD (country code Top Level Domain)
Example: amazon.com / amazon.in / amazon.es
- gTLD (generic Top Level Domain) with Subdomain or Subfolder
Example with subdomain: de-de.facebook.com
Example with subfolder: skype.com/en
Microsoft | US website |www.microsoft.com/en-us
Example: en-us for English in the USA or ja-jp for Japanese in Japan
Microsoft | Japanese website | www.microsoft.com/ja-jp
Starbucks | US website | www.starbucks.com | Social Media Icons
McDonald's | International | corporate.mcdonalds.com/mcd/country/map | Localized Social Media
Example: Weibo in China; VK in Russia
PayPal | Chinese website | www.paypal.com/c2 | Local Social Media
Costco Wholesale | US website | www.costco.com
All versions of your website shouldn't differ drastically across regions. You can localize images and slogans but you need to keep main brand assets such as colors, logo, typography, etc consistent.
When a global brand uses the same logo, key colors, and other branding elements it becomes recognizable.
Example: Chinese version of the Coca-Cola logo contains a company name translated and adapted for the Chinese audience. Coca-Cola in Chinese means 'bite the wax tadpole'. But the adapted version 可口可乐 (kě kǒu kě lè) translates as 'can be tasty, can be happy'. It sounds quite similar to Coca-Cola at the same time giving the brand a happy essence.
Coca-Cola | Chinese website | www.icoke.cn | Consistent logo with translated brand name
McDonald’s | Chinese website | www.mcdonalds.com.cn | Consistent logo with a translated brand name
This guide is available in PDF format.
Originally published on idmspot.com